Entrusting a bot to plan an entire 20-week tour around the world? Why not?
“So, you’re trusting your Gap Year to an AI?” my friends asked incredulously, their eyebrows arching higher than the prices at our local organic juice bar. As a scribe for the digital nomad scene, the unusual is my usual. So, when Chat GPT, at this point my very own virtual assistant, “offered” (by this I mean I asked it) to plan my Gap year, I thought, why not?
I started with a straightforward request: ‘Plan a Gap Year for me with unique, off-the-beaten-path destinations.’ However, the initial route from Chat GPT was a bit too roundabout, spanning New Zealand to Iceland and then Thailand, which hardly seemed efficient. I needed it refined to make more sense for a traveler seeking efficiency.
Here is the finalised itinerary.
Portugal (Lesser-Known Regions) – Weeks 1-2
- Aveiro: Canals and art nouveau architecture.
- Douro Valley: Scenic vineyard tours and river cruises.
- Coimbra: Historic university and medieval old town.
- Azores: Stunning landscapes, volcanic lakes, and hot springs.
Morocco (Off-the-Beaten-Path) – Weeks 3-4
- Chefchaouen: Blue-painted streets and mountainous backdrop.
- Fes: Ancient Medina and traditional crafts.
- Essaouira: Coastal charm and vibrant arts scene.
- Atlas Mountains: Trekking and Berber village visits.
Greece (Lesser-Known Islands) – Weeks 5-6
- Naxos: Beaches and traditional villages.
- Samos: Ancient ruins and lush landscapes.
- Ikaria: Hot springs and longevity hotspot.
- Syros: Greek and Venetian architecture, cultural scene.
Croatia (Beyond the Coast) – Weeks 7-8
- Zagreb: Museums and cafe culture.
- Plitvice Lakes National Park: Waterfalls and lakes.
- Varazdin: Baroque architecture and historical charm.
- Istria Interior: Hilltop towns and vineyards.
Slovenia – Weeks 9-10
- Ljubljana: Green capital with riverside cafes.
- Lake Bled: Iconic lake and island church.
- Soca Valley: White-water rafting and hiking.
- Piran: Adriatic Sea coastal town.
Latvia – Weeks 11-12
- Riga: Art Nouveau architecture and old town.
- Gauja National Park: Natural beauty and hiking.
- Liepaja: Beaches and unique military heritage.
- Kuldiga: Wide waterfall and quaint town charm.
South Korea (Beyond Seoul) – Weeks 13-14
- Jeonju: Traditional Hanok Village and culinary scene.
- Gyeongju: Historical sites of the ancient Silla Kingdom.
- Boseong: Green tea fields and coastal walks.
- Jeju Island: Natural wonders and island culture.
Taiwan – Weeks 15-16
- Taipei: Night markets and Taipei 101.
- Taroko Gorge: Marble canyons and hiking trails.
- Tainan: Historical sites and traditional culture.
- Sun Moon Lake: Scenic bike rides and natural beauty.
Namibia – Weeks 17-18
- Windhoek: Cultural diversity and city life.
- Sossusvlei: Red dunes and Deadvlei.
- Swakopmund: Adventure activities and colonial architecture.
- Etosha National Park: Wildlife safari and natural beauty.
Uruguay – Weeks 19-20
- Montevideo: Urban culture and beaches.
- Colonia del Sacramento: UNESCO World Heritage Site with historic charm.
- Punta del Diablo: Relaxing fishing village and beaches.
- Cabo Polonio: Remote and tranquil coastal hamlet.