This gorilla safari is an amazing chance to visit a country that few tourists see. Start your adventure in Virunga National Park, in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, on the border of Uganda and Rwanda.
Our Gorilla Safaris begin in Africa’s oldest and most biologically diverse protected area, known as Virunga National Park. The park’s 7800 km² includes forests, swamps, savannahs, erosion valleys, active volcanoes, lava plains and the glaciated peaks of the Rwenzori mountains. This relatively undiscovered gem, is home to about a quarter of the world’s critically endangered mountain gorillas. Trek through this vast and beautiful forest to meet the gorillas. Then climb one of the many volcanoes, sleeping in a summit hut for the night. After this epic gorilla safari adventure, you will fly to the highlands of northern Kenya. Here you will see the endangered rhino at Solio and the Grevy’s Zebra at Sasaab. Spend your days on game drives, walks, horse riding and fly-camping in the wilderness. Finally, you will return to Nairobi and unwind at the iconic Giraffe Manor.
* Guide price based on two people travelling for 12 nights on a full board basis with private guide on your journey through the Congo. The price is correct to the best of our knowledge. It is intended to be a guide price and is subject to change at the time of confirmation.
At the end of this Volcano Safari, it is hard to say which was the more memorable experience. To stand on a volcano’s peak at night and watch a lava lake boiling away in a crater far below like a fiery vision of Hades; or to stand yards from a mountain gorilla in lush forest and sense the almost human intelligence behind its eyes, with an unmistakable feeling of distant kinship, as you size each other up.
Day 1: Kigali Serena Hotel, Rwanda
Day 2/3: Kibumba Tented Camp, Virunga National Park, Congo
Day 4: Nyiragongo Summit Huts, Virunga National Park, Congo
Day 5: Lake Kivu Serena Hotel, Rwanda & Four Points by Sheraton, Nairobi Airport
Day 6/7/8: Solio Lodge, Solio
Day 9/10/11: Sasaab, Samburu
Day 12: Giraffe Manor, Nairobi
Day 13: Farewell Kenya
- Full board accommodation at Kibumba Tented Camp, Nyiragongo Summit Huts, Solio Lodge, Sasaab and Giraffe Manor
- Bed and Breakfast accommodation at Kigali Serena Hotel and Four Points by Sheraton Nairobi
- Day room and Lunch at Lake Kivu Serena Hotel
- Scheduled internal flights (throughout Kenya)
- International flight from Rwanda to Kenya
- All transport between destinations and to/from activities incl. 4×4 safari vehicles
- Gorilla Safari and Volcano trek permits
- Private guide throughout your journey through the Congo
- Activities’ including game drives, sundowners, bush picnics
- Horse riding and mountain biking at Solio Lodge, camel riding and walking at Sasaab
Virunga National Park covers an area of 790,000 ha. It includes an outstanding diversity of habitats, ranging from lava plains to savannahs; dense lowland and higher bamboo forests, swamps and steppes, to the Rwenzori snowfields at an altitude of over 5,000 m and the Virunga volcanoes. The park is a refuge for mountain and lowland gorillas. The highlands have notable examples of the high altitude flora and giant herbs unique to the mountains of Africa.